The Gatehouse is a (c)1830 cut stone house designed and built by Lord Leitrim. In its hay day as a Thatched Gate House, it served as one of the three security points of entry to the castle. The Thatched roof was destroyed by a fallen tree (c) 1970 however the original cut stone Gate House remained intact.
It is said that Lord Leitrim was not a bad man if he got his own way! The people of Leitrim suffered greatly under his reign. However, his legacy to us today in architectural terms is a beautiful well designed cut stone Castle, Gate Houses etc that have stood the test of time, unlike some modern constructions.
The Gatehouse B&B stands on 2½ acres of forest (oak, ash, sycamore), within the 300 acres of Lough Rynn Estate. Located on a quiet back road over-looking a working farm on the edge of the Lough Rynn Estate. The Gatehouse was extended with architecturally designed accommodation which beautifully compliments the original gate house facade. The additional outdoor dining area on a sheltered south facing patio makes the Gatehouse ideal for any occasion.
Restoring and extending the gatehouse was a labour of love. Murray Associates (Architects) designed the extension concept which was regularly exhibited in the “Vision for Architecture” exhibition at “The Dock” in Carrick-on-Shannon.
A special thanks to Breege Cassidy Art and design, Interior designer, Castlerea Mountain, Kenagh, Co Longford.
The restored Gatehouse is now open for business and ready for you to enjoy a piece of Anglo Irish history, one minutes drive from the lough Rynn Castle Hotel, Mohill, Co leitrim.